Friday, November 16, 2012

Reunion Quilt

The Reunion Quilts

 Shh!  Don't tell anyone, but I've been working on Christmas presents the last few weeks and am very pleased with these two quilts.


I used the Moda Charm Pack Reunion to piece together a basic 9 square.








Then I made the mistake of buying the wrong color white!... But it all worked out because the off-white that I purchased looked way better than the crisp white I had planned.









Since I'm still new to quilting, I decided to do a basic stitch-in-the-ditch for the first one.  I was very pleased with how it turned out.  I did the seams further apart than normal making each square very puffy.  It looks and feels so very comfy!







Then I decided that I really wanted to try my hand at free motion machine quilting.  I purchased the darning foot for my machine brand and it didn't fit!  Oh what a hassle!!!  After much Googleing and reading about darning foots - I was able to jerry-rig my darning foot to fit the machine.

I practiced on a small sample to get my tension right and then went to town on my big project with a very simple stipple like stitch.  I was doing an OK job too - until the very end... And I do mean the very end!  With only about 2 square inches to go, I sewed right through my left index finger.  OUCH!
The needle was nice enough not to break my bone, but this put me behind a few days until I could use both hands again.

Like any good accident, it's all about getting back on the horse - or in this case sewing machine.  I finished the quilt rather quickly once I was able to get back at it.  The finished product is what it is.  I love the quilting, but am rather disappointed in a few details.  I learned from this quilt that you HAVE to start in the middle and work your way out.  Also, it is best to keep your fingers away from the needle!


Overall, I'm very pleased with both quilts and hope that the recipients love them as Christmas Presents.  The Reunion Charm Pack was a perfect choice and I think the colors all complement each other.  These pictures do not do justice to the beautiful colors in the quilt!  Now it's time to start thinking of my next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment